Sunday, January 8, 2012

GRANDmothers..oh how I miss them

I have been thinking and missing my 2 Grandmothers lately.  One was my Gamma-the other my Mema (don't you hate how the oldest gets to name the Grandparents...obviously I'm not the oldest!). They were complete opposites and they both made a life long impact on me.  It was an honor to spend time with them, listen and learn from them.

Tonight I will introduce you to my Dad's Mother..(he always called her Mother...never Mom.)

My Gamma was simply a true and beautiful lady.
Gamma lived far away and so we didn't get to see her as much, but when we did, I couldn't get enough of her.  My memories focus on hair, her brushing my hair and me brushing hers...She had long beautiful hair that was always up in a bun. She would try to get my hair into one of her doughnut buns...but as the last post showed, I didn't always have enough hair, so it stuck out even after to 463 bobby pins stuck in my head.  But she did it so I wore (and slept in) it proudly. I really loved it when she would brush my hair.  She also introduced me to white chocolate covered potato chips and the soft drink Squirt..which I still love to this day.  I know I get my habit of collecting of family things from her, as she still had my Dad's letters, drawings, military papers and his elementary school report cards.  (From his grades, I found out bad grades were hereditary!)

My Gamma had such a beautiful handwriting and she would always write me back when I would write her...I still have some of her cards.
Penmanship was very important to her, she passed that onto my Dad, he didn't to me.  She told me a life lesson on one of her visits "that a lady only chews 1/2 piece of gum"...that advice still sticks with me.  Also one time my brother D and I were 'helping' her unpack and we didn't know she smoked and we found her ciggies and she was so embarrassed and shocked we found them, she probably had to go outside to have a smoke, when we weren't looking!

She was an actress early in her life, traveled around the country a bit.  This was in the early 1920's maybe late teens.  I have her diary from those travels and they are a hoot...and gives me an insight to her more.  She was very strong in her Catholic faith and her diary reflects that. She would put her rosary out on trees for good weather.  She had the most beautiful skin, so translucent even into her later years.  I hoped that I would inherit that skin (didn't happen). 

I recently found out from a couple of my cousins that early in my life I was her favorite.  It probably had more to do with being the only daughter of her number one son (who protected her in ways a son should never have to).  I never knew I was her favorite (I always thought it was another cousin).  My cousin also told me Gamma always got this special smile when she said Lori Ann...I of course cried...I get a special smile when I think of her as well.

I later was informed how hard her life was since she married my Gampa, it makes my proud to know how strong she was...she survived...Honestly I am kinda glad I didn't know how hard it was when I was a child, it would of broke my heart even more knowing.

I remember getting the call that she died in Nov, 1982, I don't remember who called, but just the words she died over night.  I cried...I cried selfishly knowing I would never see her, speak to her, write to her again in this world. Lord I still miss her, I could use a hair brushing from her now.

Less than a month later my Aunt D sent me an unsigned birthday card that she knew was for me, since my birthday was coming up. Yes, I still have it.

I realize I used the word beautiful many times here, but in my mind/memories that is the only word to describe her..
Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment