Sunday, October 7, 2012

Why this Journey?



Some may wonder why at our age, when most of our friends who are the same age have teens or older or are grandparents, are we adopting?  To understand why we are, you must know the story that started me thinking about completing my family.   

Many factors played a part in the decision so here is the cliff note version.

First of all, I had not even met my husband yet and I was mourning the loss of my baby niece Gracie.   I realized soon afterwards I wanted a family of my own and I didn't want to wait. Now it is ironic since I had to WAIT in the process for 7 years before I saw my daughters picture.  I am pretty sure my family thought I was a bit crazy to do this, but they were supportive (or maybe thought 'this to shall pass'...but it didn't!).  I started researching and attending seminars about adoption and looking at various options domestic and international.  There was such a strong pull towards China, at almost every seminar I met amazing families who brought their children home from China.  One of the main reasons China, is that most of the children adopted in China are little girls...and since I am a girl...I wanted a girl!  The other reasons were (at that time) they allowed single females to adopt and the costs were more reasonable by comparison to other international programs.  Also when I started the paperwork to adopt (and to say there is a lot of paperwork would be an understatement) the wait was only a yearish...

I have watched my nieces/nephews and f
riends children grow up and I have experience some of their milestones, so yes we are going to be catching up on all the joys of parenthood (and the tribulations too)...I know NO parent who would ever give up the journey of parenthood.  So now beside being parents to 2 four legged hairy babies we get to be parents to a (hopefully) smiling 2 legged little girl who we will love forever to the moon and back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment